Friday, June 5, 2009

Surgery June 2009












Girls Pre Surgery Escape Day


Hello everybody, I just wanted to touch base with all of you, so nobody is worried anymore. There were a lot of people that had me in their prayers, & we appreciate it very much. Not going to say that the last 3 days have been easy, because they haven't, but we are taking each day nice and slow, so this has helped.

Sunday, Chalsey & I escaped to Regina for a girls day away prior to surgery. We did the same for her surgery 5 weeks ago, so it was kind of tradition, so to speak. June 13th, marks my 30th bday, so we also did a bit of celebrating for that as well. So relaxing. We wondered through the very park she was married in, walked around Sask Lake, and just plain relaxed. She took me to Moxies, a very upscale restaraunt for lunch. That was fun. There was a big screen tv in the bathroom. Unbelievable. Of course, she is my pampered chef lady, so I got a few very nice pampered chef items for my birthday. Thank you sweetie....

Monday, it was rush, rush, rush to head to Bismarck. We dropped the girls off at the port for Chalsey, and my dad stayed home with Grant. So nice to have such good friends and family to take care of the kids. Made it a lot easier to leave, knowing the kids were taken care of.

Kurt & I had a nice dinner of Red Lobster that night, and then headed to bed. Can't say this was the best night sleep, I've ever had, but I made it.
The next morning we were up and to the surgery center by 7:00. The doctors and nurses, were very nice and got me ready and preped quickly. I wish I had taken a picture of Dr. Becker while he was using his sharpy on me. Man, there were drawings everywhere. I thought forsure, I would wake up with a few marks. Not a single one. Too funny.

The surgery itself was expected to be a little over 5 hrs, but ended up being closer to 6.5 hr. They took 10.5lbs of excess skin from all the way around my entire body. Things are so painful because of the scar being both in the front and back. Makes it hard to get comfortable. I went into surgery 174lbs, take away the 10.5lbsof skin but then add 20lbs of liquid and drainage. Scale showed 184 this morning. The drains are constantly filling up. I could have then anywhere from 1-5 weeks. As soon as the liquid is gone, things wont look so puffy.

I started my recovery in the hospital that evening, and can honestly say that I was in worst pain of my life. "What have I done?" went through my head several times, as I cried out in pain. I cant even describe it to you. I cried the whole evening. I have a very low tolerance for pain, and then add all of my clotting problems on top of it, just made it horrible. Hard to find good pain meds that dont interfere with my blood. Asprin based, and Advil based are out. I am already taking Heparine and Warifin for my clotting, so we cant have my blood to thin. We settled with Hydrocodone and Toredol, but even then, the pain is only dulled.

I am home now, and things are moving alone. I have been mostly in my chair since my arrival. Kurt gets me up every 2-4hrs to get me to walk. Pain is horrible, but I have to do it. Uncle Steve gave me my Grandma Amy's walker, so that has been a life safer. I am also not able to shower or get wet for 2 plus weeks, so Nurse Kurt was quite funny as he gave me my gereatric sponge bath this morning. I felt like a new person after my hair was washed this morning. My girl friend from Valley City comes tomorrow to help out for a week, so I am so very lucky. Thanks Tennille....


Kurt has been awsome. I couldnt be luckier. He has been so good. He drains my drains, washes and dresses my incisions, gives me my pain meds, and takes me to the rest room. Got to give him a lot of credit, I cant say that I would be as good, if the wheels were turned. Thank you dear, I love you....

Next week is my follow up apt in Bismarck, so the days are plugging alone. I am going to post some pictures, but right now, there isn't much to see because of the huge binder wrapped around me body. We did take the binder off for a quick peak last night, so that one will be posted.
I would also like to note that my thyroid biopsy came back Negative for cancer cells, so thank you gain for the extra prayers.

Thanks to all of my family and friends who have called, emailed, sent flowers, and offered to help Kurt. Really means a lot to all of us.
The Kochers










































No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive